"And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now HOPE DOES NOT DISAPPOINT, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."
-Romans 5:3-5

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Don't cross an angry "Mama Bear"

Grrrr.... that is literally the noise that I find escaping my throat these days, especially when it comes to my children.  Multiple times in the past month occasions have arisen that caused my "Mama Bear" tendencies to go wild.  Someone singles out my child, makes false accusations, calls her a name, fails to let me know of a major conflict she's been in... the list goes on and on, and while these are tiny little infractions in the overall scheme of things, they send me into a seething, growling, defensive fury.  It doesn't matter if my feelings are reasonable or not at that point- I am out to protect my babies at any and all costs!

The protective nature of a mom never ceases to amaze me.  How incredible is it that the God of all gods, Lord of all creation, has equipped us with such an intense compassion and love for our little people?  It isn't something that develops over time, or something we decide to do- it's just as natural as the waves crashing on the shore.  Now, I can't speak for all mothers, but I know that as soon as that little girl began to grow inside of me, my heart began to swell, my courage began to soar, and nothing was going to come against her.  That level of love and commitment that God gives a mother for her children is one that truly cannot be explained with words... it can only be experienced firsthand.

As I've been contemplating this protective nature in myself, I've been reminded of God's love and protection over us.  As much as I love my kids and try to guard them from things that may cause them harm, I am only human, and that intense love I have is absolutely nothing in comparison with the love of our Heavenly Father.  I seek to protect my children, but the best defense I can offer them is to cover them in prayer, and give them to Him.  In His word, God is described as our shield (Psalm 3:3), our refuge (Psalm 91:4), our hiding place (Psalm 119:114), and our rock, fortress, and deliverer (Psalm 18:2).  He promises to be an "ever-present help in times of trouble" (Psalm 46:1).

As children of God, we are covered by a far greater hedge of protection than even the greatest mother can ever offer.  We were created for a purpose, and our Father will stop at nothing to take care of our every need... even offering His own precious Son as a sacrifice for our sins so that we can share eternity with Him.  That is a love and protection that I, even in angry "Mama Bear" mode, cannot offer my children... but I am eternally grateful for a God who can and does.

No comments:

Post a Comment