"And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now HOPE DOES NOT DISAPPOINT, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."
-Romans 5:3-5

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

God's Possession

As a mom, I cherish my children with every ounce of my being.  When they hurt, I hurt.  When they cry, my own tears flow.  When they are bubbling over with excitement, I rejoice alongside of them.  And if someone crosses them, you better believe I'm going to be the first in line to defend them.  I strive to give them the best life I can possibly give them, to protect them, to help them grow in grace and wisdom, and to let them know how much they are loved.

Ever since I first laid eyes on my first-born, I have been amazed at this all-consuming, never-ceasing love of a mother.  It surpasses all understanding and reasoning.  No matter what my daughters may do or say, the love just keeps growing.  Yet no matter how much my love for them grows, it will never match the love of our Heavenly Father.

I read a passage in Ephesians tonight.  I've read these two verses before, and I've never really paid much attention to the meaning in the words.  (Yes, I know, you shouldn't admit that you don't pay attention to part of God's word... shame on me.)  I was reading and praying over Ephesians 1:13-14, and I just couldn't get past five words... "those who are God's possession."  God's possession?  Well, according to the Scripture, that's me!  Those who have heard the Truth and have believed are marked with the Spirit.  I've been claimed for Him! God possesses me- He owns me, He controls me, I am HIS. 

We often talk and sing of being children of God, but every once in a while, I need to think about what that truly means.  Being the God of all things, He loves me with more intensity than I love my children.  Being omnipotent, He protects me in ways I can never dream of doing for my children.  Being omniscient, He works for my own good far beyond the good that I try to do for my children.  Being omnipresent, He is always with me, and as much as I want to be with my children all the time, that just doesn't happen!  The kind of love that He has for us is the kind of love you can drown in.  When you are loved with that kind of love, how can you worry about what's going to happen tomorrow, or fear the unknown?  If GOD owns me, do I really need to worry about what's going to happen to me?  God is going to take care of His possession!

Knowing that I am His convicts me.  My life is His, yet how often am I out there thinking about what's best for me?  How many times do I focus on what I think I deserve?  How many times have I said that someone has wronged me, or cried because things just aren't going my way?  I am not my own.  If things are not going my way, that's probably the best thing that could happen!  They shouldn't be going my way- they should be going His way.  It's time to stop trying to live my life, and instead live His.  I am His possession... it's time to live like it!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this reminder, Heather! This post was good for my tired heart tonight!

    ReplyDelete