"And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now HOPE DOES NOT DISAPPOINT, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."
-Romans 5:3-5

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Precious Diamonds

How many of us value the diamonds on our wedding rings?  I would venture to say that nearly all of us do.  Well, I am no exception to this, so imagine my distress yesterday when I glanced at my finger and realized that one of my diamonds was missing.  I was immediately sent into a complete state of panic.  I began to frantically search for the very small diamond that was missing.  I crawled on my hands and knees on the floor, scouring every square inch.  I emptied out my purse, my bag, and my desk in desperate hopes of finding the tiny gem.  I retraced my footsteps, examining the halls and even the bathroom, yet I had no luck.  The diamond was gone.

In the midst of my searching, it dawned on me that I was so desperately seeking a material object, and a miniscule one at that. However, how often to I seek God with that same sense of urgency?  I was humbled by my answer.  Yes, diamonds (no matter the size) are valuable, and those on our wedding rings have added value due to their sentimental weight.  But God is so much more valuable than any diamond or gem we desire.  God speaks those words to us in Proverbs 8:10-11...
                                  "Choose my instruction instead of silver,
                                            knowledge rather than choice gold,
                                    for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
                                            and nothing you desire can compare with her."

My prayer for today is that I will yearn for God so much more than any material thing, and that I will value the truths of His word over even the most precious of all diamonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment